Wednesday 9 July 2008

Blast From The Past

My sister's Health Visitor came to visit her for the 'first time' today at my mum's house (my sister is staying for a while, so we can help her out with her new baby, and because she had a caesarean section which is refusing to heal... And my brother-in-law's '2 weeks paternity leave' is up - 2 weeks?! Pah!). But it wasn't actually the health visitor's first time!

Turns out the health visitor, Janet, had been our health visitor too, when we were born!!! All of ours! As in, mine, and my sisters', and my brother's!

Janet remembered our address, and was eager to be my sister's health visitor because, as Janet said, "I love to see my babies having babies" - awwwwwww! She remembered every single one of us! It was so sweet - and she loved hearing what we were up to nowadays :)

I hope that when I'm a doctor I will remember each of my patients, and their whole family... It made me realise the importance of the doctor-patient relationship. I realise it's not always possible, especially in some hospital settings where it's almost 'Patient In, Patient Out', but we should at least make the effort. Like Janet - building a link, remembering faces, making patients feel special and individual.

I certainly felt special, though the fact that she had seen all of our bums all those years ago made me feel ever so slightly weird :P

1 comment:

Ms-Ellisa said...

That's so cute!!!

Do you think it's easier to remember when it's a happy occasion like births?